Friday, January 16, 2009

FORTUITOUS EVENT

I was on my way to Compostela Province when I saw the entire rice fields in the area totally destroyed by the flood. The devastation was not just for the rice fields but it includes the banana plantation in the area. Compostela Province is a know area for it's high quality of rice. By the start of 2007, the area started introducing banana as another high yielding farm product for export.

I was approaching the municipal proper when I saw the entire field washed away by the strong water from the overflowing river. According to some locals, the rice harvest was suppose to be next week and because of the flood, there will be no harvesting event that will happen. The banana growers are also having second thought of replanting because there might be another flash flood coming. This was there experience before when a flood occurred. I never thought that the bus that I am in would make it through the raging water. You can no longer see the road. Everything is water. I am just glad to have made it through.